Modern Day Alchemists
WHY AREN'T YOU SIGNED IN!$#%@? -sends Aurel after you-

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Modern Day Alchemists
WHY AREN'T YOU SIGNED IN!$#%@? -sends Aurel after you-
Modern Day Alchemists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» This is the end I fear
The Sound of Snow EmptySat Mar 19, 2022 4:18 pm by Reila Tsukino

» Best wishes
The Sound of Snow EmptyThu Sep 17, 2020 12:08 pm by Reila Tsukino

» Simon Eris
The Sound of Snow EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 1:57 pm by ChaosAlchemist

» Pumpkin Spice
The Sound of Snow EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 4:13 pm by Rhea Stevenson

» BARBERSHOP BRUNCH, BRO'S.
The Sound of Snow EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:54 pm by Wolfgang Murinyo

» Training Private Daw (Open to Amestrian Militants Only)
The Sound of Snow EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 6:07 pm by Dawsic

» AKI'S NEW FORUM
The Sound of Snow EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 12:59 am by Silvac

» Baldursdóttir, Ymir [done]
The Sound of Snow EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 5:56 pm by Jay Furor

» Practice Makes PERFECTION
The Sound of Snow EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 11:19 am by Zayne O'Reilly

» Just a Checkup
The Sound of Snow EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 8:55 am by Crassus

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 74 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:45 am
Join us on Facebook!

The Sound of Snow

Go down

The Sound of Snow Empty The Sound of Snow

Post by Guest Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:11 pm

There were too many people in Moscow.

Marina ducked into a side street, avoiding the masses in favor of the pungent smell invading her nostrils. Despite having grown up in this very city she’d never quite gotten used to the solid block of humans that lived alongside her. Rude, in-a-hurry humans, she added dryly, rubbing her sore shoulder. Clearly her sweater, despite being all sorts of comfortable, was never meant to double as padding.

It was alright, though: she knew this particular street well, having played with the snow here as a young child, and knew that hardly anyone came down this way. The walls rose high on both sides, gray and looming, and some twenty feet away a bright light indicated its link to another main street. She used to find stray dogs and cats here all those years ago but they always ran before she could think of reaching a hand out to them (a good thing, probably, since most animals tended to bite her if they hadn’t already fled). Now, though, trash littered the sides, barely visible from the mounds of snow covering them.

She sighed, her breath blooming like a cloud before her. Marina was bored. There were simply too many people, too many noises today for her to spend a day out, and there were too many noises back home as her younger brother threw tantrum after tantrum. To top things off it was her day off work and she loved those too much to go crawling back. Even her favorite bookstore was closed, citing a vacation as its reason.

Nothing to do,” Marina mumbled to herself as she started dragging her feet through the snow, glancing back every now and again at the footsteps she’d created. She liked looking at the things she made, so much so that she didn’t exactly (though later she swears she did) notice the rather tall trashcan in front of her until she rammed into it, bringing its lid and a mound of snow down on her head.

For a second, she sat there, blinking and her butt freezing. There was a nice inch of snow piled on her head, almost neatly creating a pair of earmuffs for her (not that they did anything to smother the noise). Marina let loose a series of whispered profanities. She would have gotten up, but…

“...Why is it so damn loud in this country?”

Last edited by Marina on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The Sound of Snow Empty Re: The Sound of Snow

Post by Rolego Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:23 pm

Rolego was in a deep alley way in a bustling city. He did not care where he was or how he got there.....he just did not want to be seen. If he was to be seen...he really did not want to be put in a position to harm anyone. He ate from this alley and this alley alone. It was owned by some foreign eatery. He did not bother to read the sign. All he knew, was the food was dumped out every night at around 7 p.m.

He waited for the dish boy to dump the trays...but a small sound caught his ear...it twitched. He twisted around to see a ball roll up the alley. Closely followed by a little boy. Rolego was quickly out of sight and was in the dumpster. He held his breath...counting his seconds. The ball came to a stop right in front of his hiding place. Rolego watched the boys every move as he picked up the ball. Then the boy turned in Rolego's direction. Only to see nothing.

Rolego had stopped breathing and turned to stone for a moment. But as the boy ran off he began to relax.

I can believe this...I was once in the military. But now I am hiding from children and eating leftovers.

Rolego climbed out of the garbage dumpster and began to scratch his ears...like a dog. Feeling less of who he was every moment he did it. But while he did this he felt the garbage can he heard fall over. A loud and very distinct CRASH was heard through the entire alley. The he heard the door to the eatery fly open. There stood the dish boy. At first thy stared at each other....then the dish boy ran back inside screaming that Rolego was out side. Rolego was immediately out of sight. He ran deeper into the alley came across an already toppled trash can. He ran behind it hoping...that no one or nothing saw him.

Rolego
Rolego
ULAN

Location : In the very depths of my mind....and maybe even yours.

-Case File-
Level: 1
Writer: Rolego

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:49 pm

After a few moments of waiting in silence for an answer, Marina sighed and brushed the snow off her head. She got up fairly quickly and dusted off any white flakes left (she patted down her behind but past experience had taught her that it was best not to try too hard there), shaking her feet as she went. Wet shoes were a horrible thing and she’d picked the worst day to go without her knee-highs.

At the very least she’d gotten some entertainment out of being attacked by a giant trashcan. It would make a good headline one day: “Girl Assaulted by Abnormally Large Can—complete with pictures and an in-depth interview of the can itself.”

Marina puffed out her cheeks. Her toes were beyond numb, her mind was wandering off to lala land, and aside from checking into a mental asylum for possible insanity, she couldn’t think of anything to do. Hell, she was even starting to consider going back home at this rate; even her brother’s impressively annoying wails beat getting frostbite on her bum—which is, of course, when she heard a booming crash echo throughout the alley. Marina won’t lie: she jumped, quite violently, and heard rather than saw a dark shadow scramble into her sight and come to a stop just a few feet before her.

It took her a good few seconds to recognize the dark bundle huddled behind the man-eating trashcan, and even when she did Marina had to blink a few times. It seemed to be a very, very large dog of some sort…but since when did dogs have manes?

It occurred to her that now would be a good time to run back to civilization, noise be damned, but Marina wasn’t exactly renowned for being a genius. Instead, she took a few cautious steps towards the dog-lion (at least she thought lions were the ones with manes; her memory was hazy).

“Hi,” she said slowly, taking a step to the side to throw the creature into some light. Now that she could see it a little clearer, its brown and black fur looked more and more doglike than ever. Marina blinked a few more times: she’d never seen a stray (she couldn’t see a collar) stick around before. It was…disconcerting, she thought as she did a quick once over of the dog to look for any bleeding. No apparent injuries as far as she could tell, so why wasn’t it running?

She crouched down on her heels, putting the dog a good foot or two above her head. It was a stupid move but Marina figured since she was still a few steps away from the dog it was okay. “You’re not hurt or something, are you? Because I didn’t do really well in health…” Her eyes were wide and curious and she wondered for a second what it would be like if the dog spoke back. Then she snickered, keeping one eye on the dog as she did. That would certainly make her day much more interesting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolego Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:06 pm

Rolego had finally relaxed a bit...he had evaded his pursures for now. He finally began to breath normally. Today could have been his last...he shook a little at the thought. After a few deep breaths....he began to feel like he was fine and safe...for now.
To close...way to close...
He then felt his ear twitch...at first it was an annoyance, but then he began to feel eyes on him. He did not even move, but a fire sparked in him...but he did not growl. He wanted to know what was walking up on hi before he did any thine.

He felt and heard the footsteps get closer...and the closer they got, the more the fire grew. He then slowly turned his head and shoulders to however was walking to him...peering through his mane. What he saw caught him a little off guard. He was expecting a soldier...or the dishboy....but not a girl. He then felt his fire and his mindset calm...but kept a little of his guard up. He does not know her...and a stranger could be and do anything. Though she may not be able to see his eyes...he looked right in hers. Watching he every move.

“Hi,” She said...Hi?...he thought...why was she not running? Like so many have before. Why did she even bother even talking to a now low life. He was just digging in the trash for food in an alley. He watched her move a little to one side....but he kept still sitting in the darkness. Happy that his pelt was a little dark. He watched as she now sit on her heels not to far away....a little to close for him...but he still did not move.

“You’re not hurt or something, are you? Because I didn’t do really well in health…” Rolego was surprised and gave a small tilt to his head and his ears went crooked. Why was she doing this.....why was she checking on him...he was about to reply...but stopped just shy of the air leaving his lungs....he shook his head to answer. he hoped that a thing like he that understood her language did not chase her off. She was the first one not to stone him or hurt him.
Rolego
Rolego
ULAN

-Case File-

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:31 pm

To Marina’s great excitement, the dog-lion thing actually shook its head in response to her question. Her eyes grew even wider and a grin began to take shape on her face. That was just too awesome—her pet goldfish all those years ago had only gaped at her, but this thing could talk! Or, you know, shake its head which was sort of like talking for the speech impaired. Still. Too cool.

Her common sense barely saved her from going even closer to the dog as she asked rapidly, “Do you know any commands? Can you actually talk? Where’re you from? And why were you running, ‘cause there’s really nothing scary down here—the people are a little busy, but most are nice—” She cut herself off abruptly, propping her chin on her hand and her arm on her knee.

“I never told you my name, did I?” Marina laughed lightly, not keeping nearly as close of an eye on the dog as she should have been. “I’m Marina. People say I talk too much when I get excited. I guess it’s true, then.”

She sat back further on her heels, clasping both hands in front of her. The cold was a barely noticeable thing, now; puzzles made Marina happy, and she’d never met a dog-lion before—let alone one who understood some speech—which made it a definite puzzle. She took a moment to eye the dog over again, taking notice of how he wasn’t shivering. The heavy coat probably managed that for him (she thought it was a him) and odds were that the dog had grown up here in Moscow too. Strays tended not to travel too far, as far as she knew, and this one could have been here for years, mingled in with all the rest (she was sure, though, that someone would have eventually noticed the great behemoth tagging along).

“So.” Marina blew out her cheeks again, took a look at the ridiculously bright sky, and took in the animal before her. “I wonder if you can talk. Say yes if you can? Please? —But you don’t have to, and it’s okay if you can’t.”

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolego Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Rolego watched awkwardly as a smile began to grow rapidly on her face. He tilted his head the other way...and his ears stood on end. He did not think it was that interesting. He just shook his head in understanding. Not to complicated. He only forgetting that he was a Lion-German Shepherd....he took this into account and sighed a little. It has been some time since he actually had some conversation with someone...

He looked at her like she was a ticking time bomb. if she was to erratic and to loud....it could draw attention.Rolego did not want to much attention on him....he would be caught and chased out...on a lucky day. “Do you know any commands? Can you actually talk? Where’re you from? And why were you running, ‘cause there’s really nothing scary down here—the people are a little busy, but most are nice—” Blade was taking to questions like they were bullets....he stared blankly at her....not knowing where to start. “I never told you my name, did I?” she laughed and again he shook his head. “I’m Marina. People say I talk too much when I get excited. I guess it’s true, then.” Blade gave a look that pretty much said,"Oh, Really?"

He watched her look at him as he did the same to her. He was quite entertained by Marina. Her actions almost made him crack a smile....almost. He still had his straight and slightly stern look on his face. But he now felt like she was not a threat. And he let his guard down....felling so much more relaxed than he did before.

“So.” Rolego shook his head a little bring his gaze back to her face. “I wonder if you can talk. Say yes if you can? Please? —But you don’t have to, and it’s okay if you can’t.” Rolego at first had no words to say....but he also did not have a reason not to....so he gave a sigh...and spoke..

Rolego....my name.....is Rolego.
Rolego
Rolego
ULAN

-Case File-

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Marina had a tendency to freak people out at times. She could be frightfully silent when thinking, then explode like one of those worms in a can the next. It didn’t really surprise her that the dog before her looked just a little freaked out in her mind—and truth be told, she got a little freaked out when the dog croaked out his name. Only a bit, though; she’d never come across a talking dog before.

“Rolego, huh? Can’t say I’ve met one of you before.” Her words were teasing and as light-hearted as ever, touched with a light brush of curiosity. Why was there a talking dog in the streets of Moscow? There were some people who would have jumped at the chance to catch such a dog and make a spectacle out of him, and if he had ever been someone’s pet she couldn’t imagine why they’d let him go.

Unless, Marina thought sadly, if he was never exactly a pet… Rolego had been stiff as a board until just now, as if he expected her to whip out a gun from her back pocket. (She actually did have one, but she’d left that pair of jeans at home. Day off and all.) Her mind was going a mile a minute now, thinking of questions and possibilities—none of which she would ever voice, since what she was lacking in common sense she had an abundance of in tact. She could always ask her old boss at the bookstore if he’d ever met a talking dog, but that was a thing to be tucked away for later. For now…dude, there was a freaking talking dog in front of her.

Marina wondered if asking where he came from would be pushing it. Probably, or probably not. One could never know unless they spoke, so with that thought in mind she raised the question tentatively: “So, Rolego…what brings you here? I doubt it’s the lovely company,” she added, nodding at the desolate street they were on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolego Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Rolego sat there and thought of who she was. She did not give any clue. Her occupation, her lifestyle. Everything checked out that she was normal....but what was about here that did not match...After a few moments...he gave up and looked at her say her supposedly funny pun. Which annoyed him a little. He lacked a sense of humor. He shook his head slightly and rolled his eyes.

He was beginning to feel the annoyance grow as she looked like she was filled with wonder and energy. The two thing he was spent of. He was tired and hungry. He had not eaten anything besides garbage. He had dug in places even he thought he would never have to do. He then began to eat the snow from the ground....he was getting thirsty now. He felt this to be a little demeaning....but he did not mind...he had done worst.

“So, Rolego…what brings you here? I doubt it’s the lovely company,

Rolego stopped drinking and looked up....he did not want to make this story long...he did not want to give any personal things....just the things that needed to be known for her to understand enough so that there wont be to many question.

I don't know....I am just trying to survive. He gave small pause as he was about to tell that he was ex military....but now was not the right time to ask.
What about you? Why is a person like you here in this area?
Rolego
Rolego
ULAN

-Case File-

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:05 pm

As Marina spoke, Rolego began to lick the snow off the ground. Marina was tempted to look away; with each passing second, she was getting more and more convinced that Rolego was far from any circus animal that had gotten loose. He was, in a sense, real. Human-like. And to see someone fall down like this…it hurt her. It left a gnawing feeling in her stomach, reminding her of her warm house, her doubled blankets and her family. It just didn’t sit right with her, not at all, and it sucked all the curiosity dry off her bones.

She listened carefully as he answered her question, slowly, warily. He wasn’t like her, she realized. He had to survive; Marina had everything she could ever need within reach, and what she couldn’t have was long departed. Marina made friends easily and trusted a little too easily as well. Rolego wasn’t like that in the slightest and she felt rather disgusted at the pity that welled up in her stomach. Pity wouldn’t help anyone, especially not this dog-lion (and maybe human, too).

Marina perked up, though, when he returned her question back at her. This she could do. She took a second to collect her thoughts—she didn’t want to burst out like before, but she didn’t want silence to collect around them either. That was a bad sign, always was, always will be.

“I used to play here.” A fond smile overtook the blank look on Marina’s face. “We had snowball fights and built forts… I figured no else would take this road. Besides,” she said, smiling a bit more now, “today’s my day off. Feeling nostalgic is better than listening to a baby cry all day.” Her eyes glanced at the patch of dried snow where Rolego had licked it and an idea popped into her head. She doubted Rolego would be game for it, but since he hadn’t bitten her or something yet it couldn’t hurt too bad.

“I know a little food vendor over there.” She jerked her thumb down the alley where Rolego had run from. The road that led was narrow, ill-kept, and horrible for business. Everyone preferred the main road, after all. “She keeps it up and running no matter what the weather is, and I’m getting kinda hungry. We could go together, if you want; the lady in charge won’t mind…she probably forgot her glasses again today, so I doubt she’d even be able to see you. No one else goes by that way either, if you’re worried about that.”

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolego Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:52 pm

I used to play here. We had snowball fights and built forts… I figured no else would take this road. Besides, today’s my day off. Feeling nostalgic is better than listening to a baby cry all day." Rolego gave a small huff in understanding. But he did wonder what her past job was. But this did not sit in his mind for long. But his stomach rumbled...which brought his eyes down to his stomach. He had forgotten the last time he had some real food. two.....three weeks? He had forgotten. He lifted a paw and looked at his palm....or what used to be...gave a sigh off of his memories...and placed it back down.

Again his stomach growled like a loud bee trapped in a jar. He lowered his head feeling a little bit humiliated. “I know a little food vendor over there.” He followed to where her thumb had pointed...right back to where he had just ran from. From the start he wanted to say no...but the sound of the food stand made him almost think otherwise. Besides, the one who had spotted him should not be there still....or he would have followed Rolego. Happily the dish boy did not. “She keeps it up and running no matter what the weather is, and I’m getting kinda hungry. We could go together, if you want; the lady in charge won’t mind…she probably forgot her glasses again today, so I doubt she’d even be able to see you. No one else goes by that way either, if you’re worried about that.”

Rolego knew of the stand. He had been passed it a few times before. But he had never gathered the courage to go to it. He also knew she left food out sometimes....her food is amazing in this time of year. But lately she had been more careful where she left her food. There have not been any food left out ever since last week. But also...he did not like moving from his spot....it was his area...his little world that he knew well. But..his stomach rumbled...which gave the extra boost needed for him to accept the risk. He gave a nod. Okay...I will go. He then stood with a weary eye. But...before we do go....what is your occupation? Even though he should have waited to know a little more of her.....there was a wierd vibe he could not shake....he had to ask.

Last edited by Rolego on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Rolego
Rolego
ULAN

-Case File-

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:24 pm

Marina fought back a smile when Rolego’s stomach growled. She knew that feeling, alright. There had been many times back in school when the work had piled on so much that she, along with just about every other girl her age, had had to skip meals to finish it all. What she didn’t know was the air of distinct sadness and almost desperation around Rolego but this was one thing she didn’t press. It wasn’t her business as far as she was concerned.

Her knees cracked as she rose, somewhat stiff from her time spent near the ground. She was about to open her mouth to speak when Rolego did so first, intriguing her with his question. Her job, was it? Not a hard question at all, but Marina still shifted from foot to foot uneasily. Some people—like a dear old friend of hers who now wasn’t—didn’t take well to learning she was in the military, and since Rolego was considerably stronger than her it was a chance she didn’t really want to take.

Still…the dog-lion had been through so much already (from what she could infer so far) and it didn’t seem fair to lie to him. Marina sighed, adjusting her hat absently. “I used to work at a bookstore not too far from here. Then I joined the military’s intelligence department. Pretty basic stuff so far; I’m only a sergeant major.” This time around, she made sure to keep both eyes on Rolego. Sure, she trusted easily and whatnot, but she was in a dark alley and didn’t know how he’d take it. Even Marina wasn’t that stupid.

“I liked the bookstore better, though,” she said after a moment’s thought. Her brow furrowed as she thought of the paperwork involved at a military job. “It was a lot more fun. Sort of smelly, but fun.” Marina shrugged. “So, to the food then?” Nonchalance was good. It left little room to think, and she didn’t really want Rolego wondering why a girl like her was in the military: the answer was so simple it was too confusing to explain.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolego Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:59 pm

Rolego's mind was now racing. Now knowing that she is in the Military. But...if she was going to get him, she would have done something to him by now. Well at least he thought she would. But now he was not even sure if he could trust her. Weren't chimera's supposed to be killed off? Weren't they supposed to be feared by everyone....Rolego did not know...He had never seen one. He never thought he would actually become one! But now since he is....he is now living by handouts and his only security would be the alley.

He did not know how to explain how he felt of her being in the military. He actually feared more than anything else. She could be wearing a fire arm for all he knew. He knew that he will need to be on guard when he was with her...she could attract attention from military and civilians she knew like the cook at the food vendor....he still went however. But had his eyes shifting from left to right. He did not want to be scene as a monster....which is now less likely They should not attack something like him when with another person. He hoped. .Like my father.......

He said this under his breath...missing his family. He had lost everything. He did not even know if his parents would ever know if he would even take him back....he did not want to ruin his parents reputation. Though they were never on the front....they also told their stories of the chimera...Rolego knew he would no be able to see them aver again...but then he brought his head up to see that the few people that were there.....were staring...making Rolego very uncomfortable. He felt very vulnerable...despite there was not so many eyes on him..

He wanted to say that he was in the military....but...he did not want to military to look for him....he was in officers school....he would be looked for...
Rolego
Rolego
ULAN

-Case File-

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:34 am

If Marina was in any need of glasses at all, she wouldn’t have noticed Rolego’s almost invisible eyes venture from one corner to the next. Her hearing, however, was lacking just a bit (the result of studio headphones that never left her skull when at home) so she didn’t hear the entirety of Rolego’s quiet sentence. The end of ‘father’ caught her attention though, and she fixed the dog with a curious look.

She’d always been good at history and the word ‘father’ piqued the story of the dude who’d tried to take over the world. It was highly doubtful that Rolego had even said father, let alone meant that father, so she shrugged, continuing on towards the food, now consciously aware of her growing hunger. It was strange, how that happened; she hadn’t even felt it while getting mobbed by that trashcan…

They reached the end of their alley soon enough with Marina wincing at the sudden onslaught of light. She could vaguely make out the outlines of a handful of people strolling about. Most of them she remembered by face, having seen then before; they were the smart business folk who took this small road for a quick bite to eat and a less crowded way to work. They looked over her, one waving slightly in hello, and rested their eyes on Rolego. Marina scratched her cheek as they made their way over to the food stall: she didn’t want to act like Rolego was her pet (because she was sure there was something about him she was supposed to know, but she just couldn’t remember) but it was either that or…chasing off animal vendors with a stick.

The food stall in question was a rickety old cart more than a stand, painted in an off green color with an orange umbrella sticking out its middle. Marina had often wondered how the umbrella managed to stay up with all the snow on its head but figured as long as it never came down on her, she wouldn’t ask.

The woman manning the cart squinted at a tree, her faded blue eyes magnified behind her glasses. Marina smiled; it wasn’t often that the woman remembered her glasses, and apparently she hadn’t remembered that she needed a new prescription either. She tapped the cart’s metal surface with two fingers, drawing the woman’s attention to herself (probably not Rolego, though, since her vision wasn’t nearly good enough). “A turkey sandwich for me, ma’am…” Marina looked down at Rolego: what did a dog-lion mix eat, anyway? “And another for my friend here, please.”

With a grumble, the woman—who never bothered saying hello, not that she ever did—reached into her cart. Marina rocked back and forth on her heels, watching the people walk by. Their lunch break was probably finishing now, and only the one that had waved at her gave her and Rolego a second look as he made his way back to his office. Soon enough, the street was bare save the three around the food stall.

“I guess we have good timing, then,” Marina said to Rolego. She wasn’t worried about keeping her voice low as the woman’s hearing was hardly better than her eyesight when it came to words that didn’t consist of orders. “The lunch rush crowd just left…not that I’d call it a crowd. And since I can actually talk to you now, is there something you want—”

“Take your food, vagabonds.” Marina blinked as three wrapped sandwiches were thrust into her hands not a second after she had spoken. That was…freakishly fast. The woman was either getting faster in her old age, or Marina’s sense of time had been completely skewed.

She paid for the food, thanked the once again grumbling woman, but didn’t take the well worn path to a closeby bench partially hidden by a snowy group of trees just yet. It’d suck for Rolego if he didn’t like turkey, and the woman wouldn’t mind if they took shelter under her giant umbrella for a few more minutes. Besides, she wondered if he'd say anything else about this 'ather' thing he'd mumbled before now that they were semi-alone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolego Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:45 am

Rolego was looking in every part of the street...despite the fact that there was not many there. He was acting more paranoid than just trying to be safe. He grew weary of the thing he used to be...that is also probably why he had lived like this as long as he did. He could not trust another human...he had seen what they had did to others like him...he had witnessed a few executions the military...they were pretty gruesome. He did not go to see another after the first....it enraged him...and now seeing how one lived...he could see why so many were caught....He was snapped out of his depressing memories by Marina..who was saying her highs to passing by strangers. Whom Rolego could tell that they were giving him looks that did not make him feel and more comfy.

He looked into the stall where the woman was working...he tilted his head to the side looking at her thick...actually very think glasses. From his angle, it made here eyes look monstrous compared to her head. He then watch Marina tap on the window and order 2 two Turkey sandwiches. One for her and one for him. He finally cracked a little smile...feeling a little better knowing that he will be getting some real food. His stomach growled loudly and angrily. Like it was screaming for the woman to hurry.

A little later the streets laid bear. Rolego looked around to see that they were empty and it made him feel a whole lot better. He let his eyes rest a little as he finally sat down next to Marina. “The lunch rush crowd just left…not that I’d call it a crowd. And since I can actually talk to you now, is there something you want—” Rolego in the middle of her sentence wanted to speak. But he did not want to say that he was in the military...he did not want to be researched or experimented on. But before he would even have a chance he saw the sandwiches get forced into Marina's hands. Rolego also blinked at the sandwiches...that was very quick....extremely quick there was also more than wanted. He watched as Marina's paid for the food and followed her to a seated area which also had an umbrella.

Rolego took a sandwich and sat of the ground and began to eat. He also thought about what he should say. A thank you would be enough...but...he also knew that she wanted to know what he was saying...(Or she knew if he was keeping something a secret) He carefully placed the words in his head...placing them in the right order. Whenever he was half way done with his meal...he he began to speak.
I was in the military. I followed in the footsteps of my parents who were also in intelligence and warfare like you..But...I did not take their way. I simply put myself in infantry. I was not really into the type of field my parents were in. He stopped....feeling like he had said more than enough...he had thought he should stop before he says something that could make him regret something. He was thinking way to far ahead and was worrying way to much. He gave a sigh as well as he laid his head down. That's all....
Rolego
Rolego
ULAN

-Case File-

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:28 pm

There was silence between the pair, broken only by the muffled crunches of the snow beneath their footsteps. It was far from awkward to Marina, for her mind was elsewhere, back in the dusty shelves of the old bookstore. It had been secondhand (therefore hardly ever busy) and she spent most of her hours sitting cross-legged with a heavy tome open in her lap. The thing about Rolego she almost remembered but couldn’t was somewhere in that book, but the question was where?

When they reached the bench Rolego took a seat on the ground, taking a sandwich for himself, and Marina leaned back in her seat. Her hands absently unraveled the foil, and she would have continued on in this fashion of thinking and hurting her brain in the process had Rolego not spoken.

Marina inched forward a bit, for the moment disregarding the parts about which field Rolego had chosen. Her brow furrowed—a dog in the military? A dog’s parents in the military? Dogs couldn’t be in the military, not even if they were somewhat humanoid and talking…

“Ohhh.” The sound slipped from her mouth without a thought. In her mind, the old book flipped to a page with vague pictures of half-man, half-animal things that had been created all those years ago. It made sense now—Rolego was one of those, a chimera…and probably one who had been taken without his consent, given his current condition.

Oh. Wait. Marina looked down at Rolego’s seemingly sad face and then in the direction of her house where her military uniform rested on her bed. Weren’t chimeras supposed to be reported? They were supposedly dangerous, but Rolego hadn’t done a thing to her. Besides, she got the feeling reporting a chimera was much like sending a dog to a high-kill pound. It certainly wouldn’t be pleasant, at any rate, but she couldn’t just lie to her boss either.

Her eyes drifted back to Rolego. Marina wasn’t squirming yet—truth be told, she knew that she could fail to mention it altogether when she went to work the next day. The thing was, what to do with Rolego now that she knew for sure he was human? It would be decidedly cruel to leave him on the streets but she couldn’t think of a place to take him, either. Moscow was just too big and even small streets like this had the occasional military patrol.

“…I’m sorry,” she said at last, her fingers plucking at the cold aluminum foil in her lap. Marina said nothing about knowing who—or what—he was. If he wanted to tell her, he would, and she really doubted he wanted to. “About your parents, about…” she looked in his general direction, at his tail, his ears, his paws that had the vague shape of a hand if she squinted.

She wondered if him being in the military could help his cause. He wasn’t violent, he could speak, and from what she could tell he had a decent grasp of common sense. They wouldn’t just…shoot him if his presence was made known. They couldn’t.

“Have you ever told anyone that?” Marina stuck her legs out before her, creating a contrast between the stark white snow and the blue of her jeans. “Besides me, I mean.”

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolego Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:51 pm

Rolego had a very heavy feeling in his gut. His made him think that he had just made a one way ticket to the extermination room. He also thought that he had spoken way to soon. He should not even said anything at all. He sat quietly and looked up at Marina as she had he furrowed brow. As if she did not believe him at all. Understandable. A thing that looked like him could have never been in the military. He gave a small puff of air out of his Muzzle and watched as the two frost cloud rose above him. Feeling absolutely nothing. He knew that she had to report this. She could not lie about it either. But, she had a heart right?

He heard her oh. Which made him look at her just as she turned her head from him and to her home. He could tell that she know understood what he was. His mind was now racing. If she had to tell her boss than he had to leave the area...fast. But, even if he did, he could still be caught and placed into a camp at best. He thought and thought about what he had said....and the more he thought of it the more nervous he gotten. He had know Idea what she was thinking about. All he could do was hope that he did not kill himself already.

He watched as he saw her eyes flow to him. He could tell that he had placed her in a very different position. He could tell that she was also running the options through her head now. Which actually made Rolego relax a little. He had always thought that the Intelligence branch of the Military had always been quick to solve problems and give info.(Probably his parents gave him this thought.) But, he was just a little happy to see that someone is actually looking at the rewards and consequences.

He then heard her speak about his parents. But she stopped short for some reason. He did not know why. He had already gave enough info to get himself killed. He also noticed that she continued to speak to him even though he had told her more than she need to know. Which made him relax again. feeling like he was a little safer now than then. But, she then asked if he had told anyone besides her about who he was. He sat silent. It had been some time since he had left his uniform. 3...5 months? He could not pinpoint the exact amount of time. He also did not care about it to much.
It has been longer than 3 months since I spoke to anyone. So no.

He thought a little harder about if he had or not. Again his answer was the same. He had not spoken to anyone in a long time. Had had attempted however. He actually tried to visit his parents....but he could not simply see his parents after they thought he was proclaimed MIA or KIA. I almost had once..I tried to get in contact with my parents....but I could not let them see their son like this...besides they are probably over me right now. Just the thought of that saddened him alot. He really wanted to tell that he was fine and alive....but how could he be able to?
Rolego
Rolego
ULAN

-Case File-

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:50 pm

“It has been longer than 3 months since I spoke to anyone. So no.”

Marina gaped at Rolego even as he continued to speak. Three months without speech—three months without any contact at all—and here he was, not quite okay but not as despaired as she would have been had they switched places. That was…cruel, which seemed to be the word to use when it came to Rolego. Cruelty had determined the rest of his life, and as she listened to his words, the life of his family as well.

“I bet they miss you,” she told him when he finished. Marina stared at her shoelaces for a place to set her gaze and went on with, “Parents never really get over their kids, you know. No one ever really gets over losing someone they love.” She shifted slightly, getting more comfortable on the bench even as her face belied her grimace. Talking about her dead grandmother wasn’t a sore subject—it just…hurt in that distant, far off way. “I doubt your parents are any different.”

And if they were, then she’d have something to say to them. Marina was normally a pacifist, but parents and children were just…there. They were meant to be together and to stay together, and something like a changed form shouldn’t come between that.

“I know it’s not my place, but…you might want to consider saying something to them. Or even leaving a note—it’d make a world of difference to them.” It would make a world of difference to her if her grandmother dropped by, even for a second, to say that she was still there and okay, even if she were suddenly a giant cat. Marina just hoped Rolego would be able to see that. “I could come with you, if you’d like.” She smiled briefly at him. “Friends usually make things less scary, even if they’re not right next to you.”

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolego Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:38 pm

Rolego listened intently on what she had said about his parents.....and for once...he hoped that it was true. He really wanted to see or at least speak to his parents. But he was limited...he could dial numbers. He could not simply go up and knock on the door. Their little child is now something else of a different nature....how could his parents look at him the same? What could he do....what did he have to do to deserve this lifestyle of fear and total pain while others give him pain or watch? He grew to hate the thing he used to be as well as fear....he could not imagine what his parent would do if they saw him....

“I know it’s not my place, but…you might want to consider saying something to them. Or even leaving a note—it’d make a world of difference to them.” Rolego thought about it....but...he could not imagine it...but the note...a note could not have hurt. Well it shouldn't.....right? They would at least know that he is alive and well.,,but that could really change how they are now. If they did continue to live without him...why would he try to mess with that? But....something in Marina's words made him want to try.

But he was snapped out of his own thoughts when she asked about coming with him...he gave a small sigh...in not knowing what he should do. That would be nice and all....but what would he say or how he would say it. His gut was getting butterflies already. He did not if he could see his parents even with help. He gave a short whine...he did not mean to but it just came out. He laid his head down in the snow....thinking hard. but he finally sat up and gave a nod. But it has been to long....he may have forgotten where they even lived. He did not even know where he was. He just walked away from his school wherever he left his uniform. His spirits felt like they were shot down by flack. He did not know where he or his parents were.

I would like for you to.....but I do not know where I am. After leaving my Officer school I simply walked away. I know I am in Moscow...as well as...well I hope my family sill lives in the city..but I dont know the roads to well....
Rolego
Rolego
ULAN

-Case File-

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Marina had never lost her parents, nor felt isolated from them. Even the addition of her brother was okay with her: neglect wasn’t something she knew, or understood. But when she looked at Rolego’s less than human face, she felt a spark of empathy. He was afraid that he would be rejected from those who had raised him and that was something Marina hoped she would never have to feel.

The foil on her sandwich was quite distracting as Rolego voiced his worries, but Marina caught the gist of it. He was lost, to put it simply; lost in his mind and lost in the world that had once been his. That was easy to fix, though, that latter part: Marina had grown up on these streets and knew how to navigate a phonebook.

“Okay, then,” she said, letting loose a breath of air. It hung in front of her lazily, almost like a mocking cloud. “We can go by your last name and work our way from there. If your parents still live here, then we should be able to find them in the phonebook.” And if not, well, Marina did work in the Intelligence department. It couldn’t be too hard (or considered rule-breaking, for that matter) for her to pull up some files about the neighboring cities.

Marina rolled a shoulder thoughtfully, eyes flickering to Rolego for a brief second. “You’re right about being in Moscow, though. Good memory. We’re actually not too far from one of the main roads,” she waved a hand vaguely towards the south, “but we won’t go that way. Too many cars. And over there,” Marina pointed at a red rectangle sticking out the snow with a nice pile of snow on top, “is a phone booth. We can start right now; their book is mostly intact since no one’s touched that thing in months.” It was true, for the most part: Marina hadn’t been kidding when she’d said that people only came here on their lunch breaks. It was, probably, one of the very few deserted streest in all of Moscow.

Funny how she could still hear the bustle and rustle coming from the people from that earlier street. Deserted this street may be, Marina had yet to find a street that was actually quiet in this entire city.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolego Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:10 pm

Rolego had a strange feeling of both Disappointment and humility. He felt out of place. Every child, every person, should know where home is...or was..Just thinking of this made Rolego hate himself. He also would not know what his parents would do if they saw him like this. They were still in the military when he left to join.....he did not know if his parents would turn him in because of what he turned into. The more he thought of what the future now would bring made him think otherwise. He did not want to be hurt again especially by the ones he calls...called family.

He listened to Marina as she explained what they could do. Yes he could go by his last name...but when she said the booth had not been used in some time, it made him think that the phone book would probably be out of date. Also when she said pages were missing...that would also play against their favor. Rolego, knowing that Marina was in the military's intelligence branch, then gave a sigh. Knowing that he would find his parents....hoping that they will be able to accept him as their son again. He really hoped that nothing would happen. He also hoped that nothing would happen to Marina. If word got out that she was helping a chimera, she could lose her job, be sent to jail, and many more different punishments. He knew that he had to do his part and look after her.

Alright. But....are you sure you want to help me? I dont want something to happen to you or your position in the military. Helping me is usually a one way ticket to the cells. Rolego wanted to be sure that she knew what she was doing. HE did not want for her to regret anything. If she did...he would be the one to blame.I just want to make sure what is at stake here...The last thing I am pretty sure you want to do is to be removed from the military...because of me. Just the thought made his ears drop as low as they possibly could...he felt terrible. He had drug this girl into a very dangerous spot.
Rolego
Rolego
ULAN

-Case File-

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:09 am

“I wouldn’t worry about me if I were you,” Marina told Rolego as she stood. Her knees cracked and she was sure that there was some remnant of white on her behind. “I don’t think I’m about to go to jail just for helping out a friend.” That was a blatant lie, because there were people who went to jail for that exact reason, but Marina didn’t see why she had to bring down the occasion with doom and gloom. They had turkey sandwiches. Today was supposed to be a good day.

She could see Rolego droop and scratched her head. He was a very depressed person, she had come to realize. It was to be expected since he was a dog-hybrid after all, but still; she wished he could be just a little happier at the thought of maybe seeing his parents again.

Though if his parents are anything like my mom, then maybe not, she amended mentally and with a small shudder. Her mom scared the living crap out of her on a good day, and managed to do the same thing in her thoughts too.

“So I’m thinking we should check out that phone booth first.” Marina stretched, feeling her muscles start to relax at last, and picked up her untouched sandwich. No point in wasting good food, after all. “And if that doesn’t work, I can run over to the main street and check that one out. And if that doesn’t work…well, there are other options.” Options that included asking her mother who was practically a socialite. Marina dearly hoped it wouldn’t come to that. She could always call up her old boss, too, who was just about a walking phonebook himself. Odds were that that recluse was spending his vacation holed up in his attic anyway.

Marina made her way to the phonebook, wincing at the sharp bite of cold on its handle, and found that the phonebook was only missing its front cover. Not too bad at all. She looked over her shoulder to where Rolego was and called out, “I’m gonna need a name. Maybe their address, too, since they might still be there.” Moscow had plenty of people with the same names—Marina knew of three other Marina Petrovas from her graduating class alone—and it wouldn’t surprise her to see several people who fit their meager description of Rolego’s parents. With their luck, one of the name-alikes would be a chimera dealer too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolego Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:45 pm

Rolego looked up at Marina with a straight face knowing that she was lying. He knew that both he and she were both in trouble if either of them caught. He also knew that she also knew the risks involved. Knowing that she was in the military. He gave a small sigh ...her words did not really make the day any better than it was. It actually made him feel a little bit worse about asking....But the thought of him actually getting to...maybe....find his parents, made him feel that little better. But he was to scared to think about what his parents would say.

He preked his head back up again when he heard that she was needing his name and address if possible. Rolego did not know his adress....which made him feel a little more worse. What kind of son does not know his own home address? He shook his head...but he knew his name....and that was good enough for him...and hopefully good enough for her. He gave a good sigh giving his full name. Rolego Dan Voychef He gave his name quietly...feeling almost as if it should not be known. He had grown to be very secretive about his name. It was the only tie he had to his parents. He did not want for his family top know what has happened to him unless it was from him personally.

He stood up and began to walk next to Marina to the phone booth. His eyes still scanning the area. He knew that there was not many people on the road...but the sight and feel of eyes on him.....made him feel like a creature from far away and out of the country. He found himself pretty much hiding behind Marina as she walked...he actually felt a little safer being there and she being there. He did not have to walk alone now....which made his spirits a little higher than they were.
Rolego
Rolego
ULAN

-Case File-

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:36 am

Rolego Dan Voychef…the name rung a bell somewhere in the crevices of her mind. Marina shrugged it off; her mother was a reputable gossip who was often invited to little social gatherings on weekends. She’d probably mentioned the name in between describing the lighting and curtains to her very bored daughter. It was a good thing, though, that Marina didn’t really recognize the name: she knew a fair number of people, and knowing Rolego’s name would only mean more trouble down the road.

“Okay, okay…” She flipped open the yellowing book, the distinct smell of old pages no longer a bother to her, and ran her fingers down the list of names. There were some that she knew, some that she’d heard of, and some names that made her wonder if their parents had hated their kids. But it didn’t take long for her to hit the jackpot. Marina grinned and looked down—only to find that Rolego was just about hiding behind the phonebook. The sight was decidedly odd and for a second, she just stared. Then she shook her head: if they were lucky, Rolego’s parents would take care of their son and he’d never have to hide again.

She beckoned the dog-boy closer, taking the phonebook off its little shelf so Rolego would be able to see it better. Marina held it with one hand and pointed to two names with the other; the only two names, in fact, that had the name Voychef, and they were listed as a pair too. “You think this is them? This book is pretty old, so they probably fall in the age range for your parents.” She certainly hoped it was them: Rolego deserved better than to continue his life as a hiding stray, and his parents were the only ones that would really be able to help in that regard. Marina, despite her helpful attitude, was little more than a stranger who didn’t quite understand. Not really.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolego Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:08 pm

Rolego was looking at the ground the entire trip to the booth. Fr one the light was going in his eyes...and two, he was thinking hard about what to do if their names were not in the book. She did say some pages were missing, which does cut his chances down, but it is very unlikely that his parents name was on the pages that were torn out. But he was prepared whether or not he would find their name. For some reason he did not want to find them....he had already found and gotten used to to new life a little...But he also knew that Marina was already committed to help. So, it would not be fair for him to prevent that.

He looked at the book filtering through the names trying to find the ones that belonged to his parents. He then raised a paw to turn the page...there was a huge jump from Voychef to Walchen.. the page his parents name was torn out. Rolego gave a small sigh and shook his head with small disappointment. They are not here. There page has been removed. Rolego gave one last look before closing the case to be sure he was right, and turned his head. H

Is there any phone booths near here...well...away from people? Rolego looked at the ground with his eyes. But kept his face looking towards Marina. He did not want to disrespectful now. He was taught well from his mother and the paddle she carried around. He shook the memory put of his head and let his eyes wander the ground.
Rolego
Rolego
ULAN

-Case File-

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down